Welcome to Let’s Get Digital! Here you’ll find tons of info on how to publish your work, build an audience, reach readers, and make money.
- If you want to dive straight into the blog, the homepage is here.
- If you are a reader looking for my author site, that’s here.
- If you are a writer, I’d like to highlight some books, posts, and resources you might be interested in.
I have two books aimed at writers. Let’s Get Digital: How To Self-Publish, And Why You Should is aimed at authors who are learning the self-publishing ropes, haven’t got their sales going yet, are unsure whether to self-publish, or those that want to learn more about the digital disruption that’s reshaping our industry. You can read more about it here.
Let’s Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books is for more advanced self-publishers who want to take their sales to the next level. The marketing strategies outlined in this book work best if you have several titles out, but if you have a good handle on the basics you can dive into this right away, start learning how the Amazon algorithms work, and the strategies we use to boost sales. And you can read more about that here.
But there’s lots of free content here on the blog you should check out. Here are some highlights:
- If you are looking for the basics on how to self-publish, this post will start you off.
- This post should help if you are wary of the idea of marketing or promotion, and this post will give you a simple template for success.
- I talk about the importance of covers here, and share the process I use with my designer.
- You might not need a publisher, but you definitely need an editor. This three part series (I, II, III) will explain why.
There’s also a lot of nonsense in this business which I spend time countering. I take on the meme that cheap books are somehow dangerous here, the idea that publishers want more competition in the industry here, their crazy approach towards piracy here, and the pervasive media bias on anything related to Amazon, which contrasts completely with the pass publishers get for the awful things they are actually doing.
Guests & Interviews
I also host regular guest posts which turn up some fascinating ideas and strategies:
- Here’s Nick Stephenson on how to build a killer mailing list.
- This is Joanna Penn on being an author entrepreneur.
- Two of the most popular guest posts I’ve had were from Krista Ball talking about her writers’ guides What Kings Ate & Wizards Drank and Hustlers, Harlots & Heroes.
- Finally, I’ve also interviewed bestselling authors like Michael Wallace and David Dalglish.